Teach me your ways, OH LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I will fear your name.

Psalm 86:11

I will be your God throughout your lifetime until your hair is white in age. I made you, and I will care for you. I willI will be your God throughout your lifetime until your hair carry you along and save you.

Isaiah 46:4




Blessed is the man whose quiver is full.... Psalm 127:5


Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.


Proverbs 3:5-6




Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I sort my kids outfits for the week into gallon size ziploc bags (the ones with the sliding zipper) complete with socks underwear and hair accessory. This helps a few different ways.
  • There is no discussion in the morning when you are heading somewhere on a time schedule
  • Not franticly looking for a piece to an outfit with screaming children
  • If someone had an accident yesterday, you grab a new bag of clothes to replenish your diaper bag stash
  • Helps dad participate in the dressing on a morning we are all headed somewhere and eliminates the "where are the..." discussions
  • Makes packing for a trip super easy! the mind set is already established to grab an outfit and what makes a "bag". Then on the trip the older kids can grab a bag that says their name and dress themselves with out making a mess of the suitcase!
  • I have the bags in a weekly organizer that i got from "lillianvernon.com" that hangs in my closet. So the outfits are readily accessible while i am getting ready too. A "sweater sorter" for the closet would serve the same purpose.
I monogram or label EVERYTHING! not just because i am obsessed-- but because with four little people things need to be clearly marked! Luke is able to identify his name at three because he sees it all the time. I ordered the rubber sippy cup/sports bottle labels from www.inchbug.com that not only have the kids names but are color coded as well. So the night before i make sippy cups/travel cups with milk for the ride to school. The kids know which one is theirs and can pic it from the fridge on the way out. This is a huge help!

We have recently gotten to the point that luke can wear underwear when we go places. This was ok as long as he never noticed the difference between the men's room and the ladies' room. After going with daddy a few times he has learned that there is a boy on one door and a "gurr" on the other one. Taking advantage of this since i have two of each gender i have sorted the socks by girls vs boys. Joel isn't really pleased with Luke picking pink socks out before church so this eliminates that problem. I printed (in powerpoint using clip-art) a "slide" that says BOYS SOCKS and then have a mens restroom emblem and a picture of socks. Even the non readers can identify these-- i made one for "grrs" and one for boys.


The girls are close to being able to share shoes, and the boys aren't really good at putting their shoes anywhere they can ever be found again. So we had 1 shoe bucket by the back door that shoes were supposed to go into immediatly after entering the house. That worked for a while, but everytime I went looking for a certain pair there was only one. So then we got two buckets and shoes werent allowed upstairs. Now we have FOUR buckets-- and guess what?! Yep, they are labeled! Each child has a bucket that not only has their name on it, but is printed in "their" color, and has a clip art photo of the shoes they have ( as close as i can get, i also made these in power point with clip art). This made a HUGE difference!

The bookcase that houses our shoe buckets by the back door also has a bucket ( I use plastic file totes, that also have the option of stacking- in case the need to serve another purpose later-- you know like to hold files :) that is labeled "snacks to go". This box has granola bars, cheez-its that i have pre-bagged, popcorn in tupperware containers etc. If i am going to a drs appt i will pack a grocery bag of just snacks. i use them as entertainment-- well and bribery. Next to the bucket is a case of Horizon chocolate milk boxes ( that have a six month self life and dont have to be refrigerated) so i can grab milk and snacks quickly when packing. Time saving STAR for sure!

With four kids, well visits, school calendars and my own work schedule i had to come up with a way to have it all but not carry 80 bags. If you have ever seen me you know i carry a purse-- most likely HUGE-- and each of my kids have a back pack or a GIANT diaper bag that probably is over stuffed and wont zip! However, when i go to the pediatrician I will need FOUR insurance cards, Four shot records and Four co-pays. So i have an envelope size expandafile for all things medical. the expandafile comes with little labels and i have each child a slot for their items. This is also great if you make a shot visit and they give you a paper for each child's shots. You can file them in that childs slot and know which child could run into which shot related symptom later.  I also have an expandafile with their college savings info in it, and empty one for travel documents when we all travel together.

I am soon planning on posting a few of my how to travel with four toddlers tricks but tonight i must sleep!



                                         

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Hoping to be this organized someday, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're awesome. I thought I was organized, but you've got me beat by miles!!

    ReplyDelete