Teach me your ways, OH LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I will fear your name.

Psalm 86:11

I will be your God throughout your lifetime until your hair is white in age. I made you, and I will care for you. I willI will be your God throughout your lifetime until your hair carry you along and save you.

Isaiah 46:4




Blessed is the man whose quiver is full.... Psalm 127:5


Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.


Proverbs 3:5-6




Sunday, June 5, 2011

"Wow, You have your hands full!"

I think almost every time the kids and I are on an adventure (running errands) some one with eyes the size of saucers, surveys my brood and quickly looks away, then with out thinking blurts out "WOW YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL!"

I quietly bite my tongue and smile.

I have four kids. Yes, i will say it again, FOUR KIDS. Does that make me feel any less tired? Does that make me want to send any of them back? Does your comment suddenly change my mind about taking my kids in public?

No, it doesn't. It does remind me of the humility I must teach my children. None of the people stop to think of the questions my children will ask after they walk away. "mommy, is something wrong with having four children?", "No sweetie, it was mommy and daddy's choice-- but it isn't for everyone"

"then why did that man look at us weird?", "Because he was amazed at how many blessings God gave to us!"

I am not a patient person all the time. At the shopping mall with all of my kids i sometimes am the complete opposite. Four kids is A LOT! It is a lot of responsibility. It is a lot of diapers to pack. It is a lot bigger stroller to push.

Understanding that, I would not have decided at any point in my pregnancies it was too much. I never would have decided that God filled my hands too full! If these are the blessing He decided to bestow I will gladly accept.

This is a perfect example of how God gives us mommies teaching moments with our children. Crucial moments to sculpt who they will be in Christ as men and women. He gave them to me to teach them things. HE gave them to me to show them who He is.

So however irritated I get when some random person looks at me like the crazy lady with too many kids, I will gently reassure my blessings that no matter "how full my hands are", God gave me big enough hands to handle it.




I will  Pray that these hands mold them into the people God wants them to be, with grace and patience from the Almighty. His hands created them within me. His hands jump started their precious hearts that will one day love Him beyond measure. His hands will one day help them pick their mates.

IF His hands aren't too full to love every ounce of  every child in the world, Then how dare i ever think my hands are too full for the FOUR precious ones He is sharing with me for the moment?!

                                                                                               
                                                                             Logan finding his hands for the first time
                                                                                                    Feb 2011

"Behold, I have inscribed you on the palm of my hands..." Isaiah 49:16

5 comments:

  1. Wow, love this Nickie! Thanks for posting! But um, I think I have told you the phrase before myself. Whoops, I'm sorry. I think for me it was my way of saying, you are truly super mom to do what you do everyday--i admire you!!

    Oh, and I love the line about God having his hands full with each of us. I think you should use that as your reply when someone tells you this in the future..."Wow, you have your hands full!" ... "So does God, with you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you do have your hands full. . and your house. . .and your car. . . and your wallet. . um. . well. . .God has blessed you tremendously with a beautiful family. I don't know how you do it every day and admire you immensely. And I love you so much! You and your four kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said sister! I love you and ALL of your kids ;) Each of us face different challenges in our lives and you're handling your challenges (other people's opinions and comments about your life) oh so well. You can't change the way other people act, but you've handled the way you react so well. You are a blessing to your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling nickie :) We get the line..are all of these yours?? to which my husband straight facely replies...no, we decided to borrow a few to take to the store, LOL! i laugh everytime they walk away confused :) but thats just his humor. I'm not sure if my hands will ever feel "full" although i know i feel blessed beyond measure. couldnt have put it better...thanks!

    ReplyDelete